Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Picture of Dorian Gray


Having a degree in English, it is surprising that I have never read The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. I have read other works by Wilde, but am just now getting around to this one. The preface alone is coked to the gills with wonderful phrases such as, "There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all." I have the beautiful cloth covered Penguin Classics edition that is decorated in peacock feathers. I especially love the additional notes and explanations in the back of this edition.

2 comments:

  1. What a stunning edition, it reminds me of the Folio collection editions - they have incredible covers - though we shouldn't judge a book by one of course yadda yadda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to have an incredible cover!

    ReplyDelete